(Featured Image Source: Crunchyroll)
Last night Crunchyroll held their fifth annual Anime Awards! Over 15 million votes were cast from around the world, with the horror-action series Jutusu Kaisen winning Anime of the Year, other notable wins include Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! winning Best Animation and BEASTARS‘ opening theme Wild Side (by ALI) winning Best Opening Sequence. It was a night of cheers from the global anime community as the best of the best took-home wins!
2021 Anime Awards Winners!
Anime of the Year – “JUJUTSU KAISEN”
Best Animation – “Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!”
Best Fantasy – “Re:ZERO -Starting Life In Another World- (Season 2)”
Best Drama – “Fruits Basket (Season 2)”
Best Comedy – “Kaguya-sama: Love Is War?”
Best Girl – Kaguya Shinomiya, “Kaguya-sama: Love Is War?”
Best Boy – Shoyo Hinata, “HAIKYU!! TO THE TOP”
Best Protagonist – Catarina Claes, “My Next Life As A Villainess: All Routes Lead To Doom!”
Best Antagonist – Ryomen Sukuna, “JUJUTSU KAISEN”
Best Fight Scene – Deku Vs. Overhaul, “My Hero Academia Season 4”
Best Score – Kevin Penkin, “Tower Of God”
Best Director – Masaaki Yuasa, “Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!”
Best Character Design – Mayuka Ito, Original Designs By Aidairo, “Toilet-bound Hanako-kun”
Best Couple – Nasa Yuzaki & Tsukasa Yuzaki, “TONIKAWA: Over The Moon For You”
Best VA Performance (JP) – Yusuke Kobayashi As Natsuki Subaru, “Re:ZERO -Starting Life In Another World- (Season 2)”
Best VA Performance (EN) – Zeno Robinson As Hawks, “My Hero Academia Season 4“
Best Opening Sequence (OP) – Wild Side (ALI), “BEASTARS”
Best Ending Sequence (ED) – LOST IN PARADISE (ALI feat. AKLO), “JUJUTSU KAISEN”
A great lineup of winners, it wasnt the only thing Crunchyroll delighted fans with, as they also announced five new anime series heading to the platform!
ZOMBIE LAND SAGA REVENGE
- “From throughout the ages, a group of legendary girls have become zombie idols to save Saga Prefecture. It’s the return of the cutting-edge zombie idol anime! One day, Minamoto Sakura lost her life in an unfortunate accident. Then, ten years later… After Sakura wakes up in a strange mansion, mysterious idol producer Minami Kotaro tells her that she will be joining a group of legendary girls to form an idol unit. The seven girls are charged with a quest to save the fading Saga Prefecture and adopt the group name Franchouchou. After overcoming the difficulties stemming from their different ages and different periods of history, their undead zombie bodies allow them to defy expectations of what idols can be. During the final winter of the Heisei era they performed their first featured concert at Karatsu’s Furusato Exhibition Hall, Arpino, taking another step towards becoming a legend. Now, in the modern Reiwa Era… The curtain rises on a new chapter in the story of Franchouchou, as they march towards a bright future full of hope. “
- “Takemichi Hanagaki is a freelancer that’s reached the absolute pits of despair in his life. He finds out that the only girlfriend he ever had in his life that he dated in middle school, Hinata Tachibana, had been killed by the ruthless Tokyo Manji Gang. The day after hearing about her death, he’s standing on the station platform and ends up being pushed over onto the tracks by a herd of people. He closes his eyes thinking he’s about to die, but when he opens his eyes back up, he somehow had gone back in time 12 years. Now that he’s back living the best days of his life, Takemichi decides to get revenge on his life by saving his girlfriend and changing himself that he’d been running away from.”
I’ve Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years
- “An at-home comedy about a powerful girl who doesn’t work too hard!(⋈◍ ˃ᴗ˂ ◍)。✧♡ After dying of overwork in the real world, I’m reincarnated as an immortal witch, and I spend 300 years enjoying a relaxing life. At some point, though, I end up at level 99! All those years spent killing slimes to make the money to pay the bills gave me a ton of experience points… Rumors of the level 99 witch spread, and soon I’m up to my ears in curious adventurers, duelist dragons, and even a monster girl calling me her mom! “This isn’t a dojo, so don’t come here to fight me…!” I’ve never been on an adventure, but I’m the strongest in the world… What’s going to happen to my relaxing life?!”
JORAN THE PRINCESS OF SNOW AND BLOOD
- “The year is 1931. Prince Tokugawa Yoshinobu is 94 years old and holds absolute control over Japan. Remnants of the Meiji era’s culture can be seen around the city, but scientific technology and Japanese esoteric cosmology Onmyodo are also developing, exuding a sense of modernity. Yet lurking behind the glitz is Kuchinawa, a dissident group planning the assassination of the prince, and effectively the fall of the regime. Tasked to extinguish these dissidents is Nue, the government’s secret executioner group. Sawa Yukimura, who works for this organization, suffered from an early age at the hands of the Kuchinawa boss. Her entire family was murdered and she dedicated her life to avenging their death.”
- “‘So, where to?’ This town should look familiar, but suddenly, it’s not. The taxi driver Odokawa lives a very mundane life. He has no family, doesn’t really hang out with others, and he’s an oddball who is narrow-minded and doesn’t talk much. The only people he can call his friends are his doctor, Gouriki and his classmate from high school, Kakibana. All of his patrons seem to be slightly odd themselves. The college student who wants the world to notice him online, Kabasawa. A nurse with secrets named Shirakawa. A comedy duo that just can’t catch a break named the Homosapiens. A local hoodlum named Dobu. An idol group that’s just starting out named Mystery Kiss… All these mundane conversations somehow eventually lead to a girl who’s gone missing.”
A great night of anime wins, special guests, and series announcments. The global anime community also had the chance to win a Xbox Series X console!
Congratulations to the winners! We can’t wait to see what amazing anime series will capitavte the anime community this year! You can check out the VOD by heading over to Crunchyroll.com.