Crunchyroll and WEBTOON’s upcoming Tower of God series has fans very excited. To give hype viewers a chance to learn more about the show, Crunchyroll News published an interview with voice actors Taichi Ichikawa and Saori Hayami, the pair providing the voices for the main characters of Bam and Rachel.
Taichi Ichikawa, who is well known for playing Seiki Maki in Bloom Into You, is set to play Bam.
Saori Hayami is an award-actress playing roles in many favorite series including Yotsugi Ononoki in Monogatari, Shiobu Kochou in Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, and Shoko Nishimiya in A Silent Voice. Hayami will be playing Rachel.
Interview Excerpts Via Crunchyroll:
- Ichikawa, who had read Tower of God before getting the part of Bam, found himself engrossed in the story, becoming a “huge fan” of the series and not being able to stop reading. He said the more he read, “the more motivated [he] was to keep reading” and becoming more “emotionally invested” in the series.
- Being such a global work, Hayami was “surprised” when she was offered to play the part of Rachel. Her emotions are a “mixture of joy, excitement, being surprised, and happiness” at the prospect of being in such a popular property. Ichikawa, on the other hand, felt the “pressure” that is involved in such work knowing so many people will be watching but notes that it “feels great” and he’ll “do [his] best playing Bam.”
- Hayami read the original story and between that and the script for the anime, she finds it hard to describe Rachel in a few words. To Hayami, Rachel has a “closed heart” and a “mysterious aura about her that’s puzzling.” Though, once Rachel learns about the desires of other characters “she’ll want to know everything, even if it’s scary.”
- Ichikawa feels that Bam “feels trapped and alone” and is “able to get by with the help of Rachel.” One of the important parts, to Ichikawa, is that Bam has “fresh” eyes to a new world and is able to see everything in a straightforward way. Hayami feels that one of the attractions of the anime is that the series is able to expose a “kind of psychological depiction only able to be drawn with animation.”
- Saori Hayami said “I would be really happy if many people around the world would watch the anime like they read the original work! Each character in the story is so different from one another and are each so interesting. I hope we can climb the tower together!”
- Taichi Ichikawa said: “Even though many people might already know the series, I hope the anime can help make more people fans of the work because the series is not just something you can enjoy on the first floor.”
It’s always a delight to see when the talented actors behind the characters have a passion and love for the story, you can read the full interview here.
An adaption of the webtoon by SIU (Lee Jong-hui), Tower of God is the story of a young man journeying through a mysterious tower, meeting potential allies, and battling against horrors both unimaginable and very real. He slowly discovers the rules of the tower while he looks for a dear friend. It is part of the amazing line-up of Crunchyroll’s original series.
Tower of God will premiere April 1, exclusively on Crunchyroll!
Let’s convention from home with the Un-Conventionally Cool Con! A set of articles where we will bring you cosplay, our own artist alley, “panels,” community spotlights, and so much more! All the excitement of a convention without the walking or expensive con food.